We use law and science to protect our region’s people, land, air and water.
The impacts of our work reach far beyond Appalachia.
We’ve been at the forefront of the fight against coal for 15 years. And we’ve been highly effective:
- We stopped the largest mountaintop removal mine ever proposed
- We forced coal mine operators to permanently abandon mountaintop removal mining
- We stopped federal rubber-stamp approval of mountaintop removal mining
- We drastically reduced the size and impacts of proposed mines, protecting hundreds of acres from mining
- We successfully challenged coal-fired power plants
- Our work has cleaned up hundreds of miles of streams, reforested of thousands of acres of former mine lands, and provided millions of dollars to land trusts to protect land throughout Appalachia
The natural gas industry is next.
Gas is as bad as coal, both in accelerating climate change and delaying renewable energy options.
From fracking, to pipelines, to power plants, we’re fighting gas from cradle to grave. We must stop the infrastructure that would lock us in to decades of reliance on dirty fossil fuels. Learn more.
Clean Water Enforcement
Natural Gas Pipelines
Who We Are
Appalachian Mountain Advocates is a non-profit public interest law and policy organization dedicated to fighting for clean water and a clean energy future.
We work hard to advocate for a sustainable energy economy, fighting further investment in fossil fuels and forcing polluters to pay the costs of cleaning up the messes they’ve already made.
Read more about why we do what we do.
Give today to protect people, land, water, and air — in Appalachia and around the world.
With the link below, you can choose to give a one-time gift or to give monthly. You can also dedicate your gift in honor or memory of a friend or loved one.
Or, send your donation to:
Appalachian Mountain Advocates
P.O. Box 507
Lewisburg, WV 24901
If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact Kate Asquith at firstname.lastname@example.org or 434.933.2833.